MASONRY (CIP CODE 46.0101)
At Western Area CTC, we emphasize both theory and hands-on training for our
Masonry students. This three-year program prepares students for employment in the
Masonry industry upon graduation or serves as an excellent stepping-stone for
enrollment into post-secondary training.
In addition to active listening skills, critical thinking, equipment selection, complex problem solving and decision making, this instructional program prepares students in brick, block, stone, concrete, tuck pointing, ceramic tile artificial stone construction, blueprint reading chimneys and fireplaces. Masonry students will learn arches, block/brick types, brick bonds, line work and masonry saws. Although theory is necessary, most of this technology is hands-on learning.
Careers and Initiatives
- Students will have the opportunity to co-op in their senior year, providing grades and attendance meet state standards.
- Discover the many opportunities in the Masonry industry.
- There are many jobs in Washington and surrounding Counties, including Mason, Block Layer, Bricklayer, Laborer, Tile Setter and Stone Mason.
- In 2020, the average wage for a Mason was $22.94 an hour, $47,710 annually.
Post-Secondary Training Options
To provide students the opportunity to advance their careers, Western Area CTC articulates with several colleges and trade schools, including . . .
- Pittsburgh College of Technology
- Community College of Allegheny County
- Williamson College of the Trades
- American Ladder Institute: Articulated Ladder; Mobile Ladder; Single & Extension Ladder; Step Ladder
- CareerSafe OSHA
- National Center for Construction Education and Research (NCCER) Credentials