Automation & Robotics Engineering Technology
AUTOMATION & ROBOTICS ENGINEERING TECHNOLOGY (CIP CODE 15.0403)
At Western Area CTC, we emphasize both theory and hands-on training for our Automation & Robotics Engineering Technology (ARET) students. This three-year program provides education and skills in the ARET field that will prepare them to enter the workforce or go on to post-secondary education. This program provides all aspects of industrial and commercial machines and robotics and is designed to prepare students for work in industry or continued education in engineering-related fields. Among the course topics are Computer Machine Controls, Control Systems, Schematic Interpretation, Sensor Technology, and Machine Operations and Maintenance.
Automation & Robotics Engineering Technology (ARET) Skills
Students will learn critical thinking, operations and control, equipment selection, equipment maintenance, and troubleshooting and repair of machines and systems found in facilities where high tech equipment is used. Although theory is necessary, most of this technology is hands-on learning.
Careers and Initiatives
- Students will have the opportunity to co-op in their senior year providing grades if grades and attendance meet state standards.
- Discover the many career opportunities in the Automation & Robotics Engineering technology.
- There are many jobs in Washington and surrounding counties which include Automated Manufacturing Technician, Electrical Engineer, Industrial Engineer, Machine Operator, Machine Set-Up Operator and Mechatronics Engineer
- In 2020, the average wage for an Electro-Mechanical Technician was $28.75 an hour, $59,800 annually.
Post-Secondary Training Options
Several colleges and trade schools articulate with Western Area so that students can have the opportunity to advance their careers including . . .
- Community College of Allegheny County
- Pennsylvania College of Technology
- California University of Pennsylvania
- CareerSafe OSHA
- National Institute for Metalworking Skills (Machine Operator I)
- NCCER Credentials
- PA Skills Certificate