COSMETOLOGY (CIP CODE 12.0401)
At Western Area CTC, we emphasize both theory and hands-on training in a three-year program that prepares students for employment in the Cosmetology industry upon graduation or serves as an excellent stepping-stone for enrollment into post-secondary training. Course topics include Anatomy and Physiology, Chemical Texturizing, Hair Color, Haircutting and Styling, and Salon Business. Students will obtain the education and skills in preparation for the Pennsylvania State Board of Nursing Cosmetology Examination which can be taken after completing the required hours.
Students will learn judgment and decision making, active listening skills, critical thinking, equipment selection, and complex problem solving. Although theory is necessary, most of this technology is hands-on learning.
Careers and Initiatives
- Students will have the opportunity to co-op in their senior year, providing grades and attendance meet state standards.
- Discover the many opportunities in the Cosmetology profession.
- There are many jobs in Washington and surrounding counties including Hairdressers, Stylists, Makeup Artists, Manicurists & Pedicurists, Shampooists, and Skincare Specialists.
- In 2020, the average annual salaries for Hairdressers, Stylists & Cosmetologists was $17,560 to $26,010; for Makeup Artists $26,070 to $76,640; and for Manicurists & Pedicurists $17,930 to $27,160.
Post-Secondary Training Options
To provide students the opportunity to advance their careers, Western Area CTC articulates with several colleges and trade schools, including . . .
- Douglas Education Center
- Bella Cappelli Academy
- Empire Beauty Academy
- Tony & Guy Academy
- Pennsylvania State Board of Cosmetology License
- S/P2: Cosmetology