Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning (HVAC)
HEATING, VENTILATION & AIR CONDITIONING (CIP CODE 47.0201)
At Western Area CTC, we emphasize both theory and hands-on training for our Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning students. This three-year program provides students the opportunity to gain skills and knowledge for employment in the HVAC industry upon graduation or attendance at a post-secondary school. Course topics include Introduction to HVAC, Basic Safety, Blueprint Reading, Introduction to Heating, and Troubleshooting.
Students will learn judgment and decision making, active listening skills, critical thinking, equipment selection, complex problem solving, repairing and soldering as well as basic safety, power tools, introduction to cooling, heat pumps, furnace repair (both oil & gas) and hydronics. Although theory is necessary in this program, most of this technology is hands-on learning.
Careers and Initiatives
- Students will have the opportunity to co-op in their senior year, providing grades and attendance meet state standards.
- Discover the many opportunities in the Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning
- There are many jobs in Washington and surrounding counties.
- In 2020, the average wage for a Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning Technician $25.24 hourly, $52, 490 annually; for a Pipe Fitter/Steam Fitter $27.08 hourly, $56,330 annually; for a Sheet Metal Worker $24.70 hourly, $51,370 annually.
Post-Secondary Training Options
To provide students the opportunity to advance their careers, Western Area CTC articulates with several colleges and trade schools, including . . .
- Pittsburgh College of Technology
- Community College of Allegheny County
- ABC Associated Builders & Contractors, Inc. Apprenticeship Opportunities
- American Ladder Institute: Articulated Ladder; Mobile Ladder; Single & Extension Ladder; Step Ladder
- CareerSafe OSHA – Construction
- Mainstream Engineering: EPA 608; Green Energy Certification; Refrigerant #410-A Handling
- National Center for Construction Education and Research (NCCER) Credentials
- National Center for Construction Education and Research (NCCER) HVAC Levels 1, 2, 3 Curriculum Credentials