CULINARY ARTS/BAKING (CIP CODE 12.0508)
At Western Area CTC, we emphasize both theory and hands-on training for our Culinary Arts/Baking students. This three-year program prepares students for employment in the Culinary Arts/Baking industry upon graduation or can be an excellent stepping-stone for enrollment into post-secondary training. Course topics include Baking, Banquets, Grilling, Broiling, Braising and Stewing, Cuisines Around the World, Culinary Math/Food Costs, Knife Skills, Meat and Poultry, Restaurant Set-Up; and OSHA and ServSafe Practices.
Culinary Arts/Baking Skills
Students will learn active listening skills, critical thinking, equipment selection, complex problem solving, learning strategies, and service orientation. Although theory is necessary, most of this technology is hands-on learning
Careers and Initiatives
- Students will have the opportunity to co-op in their senior year, providing grades and attendance meet state standards.
- Discover the many opportunities in the Culinary Arts/Baking Technology.
- There are many jobs in Washington and surrounding counties, including Banquet Chef, Banquet Manager, Food & Beverage Director, Pastry Chef, Baker, Cook, and Dietician.
- In 2020, the average wage for a Chef and Head Cook was $25.66 hourly, $53,380 annually; and for a Baker $29,400 annually.
Post-Secondary Training Options
To provide students the opportunity to advance their careers, Western Area articulates with several colleges and trade schools, including . . .
- Community College of Allegheny County
- Pittsburgh Technical College
- Sullivan University
- Indiana University of Pennsylvania
- CareerSafe OSHA
- ServSafe: Food Allergens; Food Handler
- National Restaurant Association: Manager Food Safety
- S/P2: Culinary