AUTOMOTIVE MECHANICS (CIP CODE 47.0604)
At Western Area CTC, we emphasize both theory and hands-on training for our automotive students. This three-year program prepares students for employment in the automotive mechanics industry upon graduation or can be an excellent stepping-stone
for enrollment into post-secondary training. Automotive students will . . .
- learn diagnostics and repair of vehicles;
- become skilled in operating a variety of hand and machine tools;
- be in charge of repairing and maintaining automobiles of all kinds.
And because all vehicles are bound to need repairs throughout their driving life, completers of the automotive mechanics program can look forward to good job security.
Auto Mechanic Skills
Students will learn troubleshooting, repairing, equipment selection, equipment maintenance and critical thinking skills. Although theory is necessary, most of this technology is hands-on learning.
Careers and Initiatives
- Students will have the opportunity to co-op in their senior year, providing grades and attendance meet state standards.
- Discover the many career opportunities in the automotive industry.
- There are many jobs in Washington and surrounding counties, including Auto Dealer Technician, Automotive Sales, Brake System Specialist, Emission Technician, Parts Manager, Service Advisor, and Service Manager, just to name a few.
- In 2020, the average wage for an auto mechanic was $21.18 an hour or $44,050 annually.
Post-Secondary Training Options
To provide students the opportunity to advance their careers, Western Area CTC
articulates with several colleges and trade schools, including
- Community College of Allegheny County
- Pennsylvania College of Technology-Automotive Engineering Technology
- Rosedale Technical Collage
- Ohio Technical College
- Automotive Lift Institute: Lifting it Right
- Mobile Air Conditioning Society Worldwide: Section 609 Certification for Refrigerant Recycling and Recovery
- National Coalition of Certification Centers: NC3 Electronics/Electrical Certification
- National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence: Section 609 Certification for Refrigerant Recycling and Recovery
- PA Skills Certificate
- S/P2: Automotive
- S/P2: Safety & Pollution Prevention
- Snap-On: Automotive Scanner Diagnostics
- Snap-On: Meter Certification
- Valvoline: Motor Oil Certification