HEALTH ASSISTANT (CIP CODE 51.9999)
At Western Area CTC we emphasize both theory and hands-on training for our Health Assistant students. This three-year program allows students to gain the skills and knowledge to be employed or attend a post-secondary school after completion. Students will be trained in all aspects of basic health care in a program designed to prepare students for work in nursing homes and hospitals as a Patient Care Assistant. Course topics include Identifying First Aid Concepts, Medical Math, Nutritional Needs, Basic Nursing Skills and Procedures, and Understanding Body Systems and Disorders.
Health Assistant Skills
Students will learn critical thinking, active listening, time management, and troubleshooting. Although theory is necessary, most of this technology is hands-on learning. Clinical opportunities are available.
Careers and Initiatives
- Students will have the opportunity to co-op in their senior year providing grades and attendance meet state standards.
- Discover the many career opportunities in the Health Assistant technology.
- There are many jobs in Washington and surrounding counties.
- Health Assistant students can earn In-Patient Care Technician, Heart Saver-Blood Borne Pathogens and Personal Care Home Direct Care certifications.
- In 2020, the average wage for a Nursing Assistant was $14.82 an hour, $30,830 annually.
Post-Secondary Training Options
Western Area CTC has several colleges and trade schools that articulate with us so that students have the opportunity to advance their careers, which include . . .
- Community College of Allegheny County
- California University of Pennsylvania BA Nursing Program
- Pennsylvania Technical College Practical Nursing Program
- Western Area CTC Adult Education Practical Nursing & Bridge Program with CCBC for RN
- American Heart Association: BLS Healthcare Provider; Heartsaver Bloodborne Pathogens Certification
- American Medical Association: Patient Care Technician; EKG Technician
- Department of Human Services: Personal Care Home Direct Care Staff