CARPENTRY (CIP CODE 46.0201)
At Western Area CTC, we emphasize both theory and hands-on training for our Carpentry program students. This three-year program provides education and skills in the carpentry field that will prepare them to enter the workforce or go on to post-secondary education. Course topics include Blueprint Reading, Building Codes, Rough Framing, Window and Door Installation, Drywall Installation and Finishing, Cabinet Construction and Installation, and OSHA Regulations.
Students will be prepared for all phases of residential carpentry including site layout, footer layout and forming, rough framing, exterior finish and roofing, insulation, drywall and interior finish. Also included are judgment and decision making, active listening skills, critical thinking, equipment selection, complex problem solving, repairing and installation. Although theory is necessary, most of this technology is hands-on learning.
Careers and Initiatives
- Students will have the opportunity to co-op in their senior year, providing grades and attendance meet state standards.
- Discover the many opportunities in the Carpentry technology.
- There are many jobs in Washington and surrounding counties, including Bridge & Highway Construction, Cabinet Installer, Drywall Installer/Finisher, Estimator, Finish Carpenter, Roofer, and Window/Door Installer.
- In 2020, the average wage for a non-union 1st year apprentice Carpenter was $23.81 an hour, $49,520 annually.
Post-Secondary Training Options
To provide students the opportunity to advance their careers, Western Area CTC articulates with several colleges and trade schools, including
- Pittsburgh Technical College
- Community College of Allegheny County
- ABC Associated Builders & Contractors, Inc. Apprenticeship Opportunities
- Carpenters Joint Apprenticeship Training and Education Center of Greater Pittsburgh
- American Ladder Institute: Articulated Ladder; Mobile Ladder; Single & Extension Ladder; Step Ladder
- CareerSafe: OSHA Certification
- National Center for Construction Education & Research (NCCER) Core Curriculum Credentials
- NCCER: Carpentry Level I
- Residential Construction Academy (RCA) National Registry