Looking Forward to the New School Year
Posted by Dr. Dennis J. McCarthy on 8/14/2019
Our staff is anxious to start the new school year. Teachers will return on August 28th and our students start the next day, August 29th.
We have a lot planned this year that hopefully will get the parents and community involved.
- Open House, which will be held on October 3rd, is always a special event as we look forward to talking with former and current students and their parents as well as future students visiting Western Area for the first time with their families. We will again be conducting our
- 1-, 3-, and 5-year surveys to get an idea what our former students have been doing since leaving us.
- Our second annual “Bring Your Parents to School Day” is scheduled for October 23, 24, 25. Parents will again have the opportunity to work alongside their children during their scheduled class times. All parents/guardians (or aunts and uncles!) are welcome. Last year’s attendees even included school superintendents, principals, and a few community and political officials. We hope to have the local newspaper here to showcase the wonderful things our students do at Western Area.
- Last year’s “Tough Guys and Gals Bingo” was such a great event that we are planning a second event on Saturday, April 25, 2020 (more information to come).
- Our annual Certificate Ceremony will be held on May 21, 2020, at the Canon-McMillan High School gymnasium.
- As always, you have an open invitation to visit the school to see firsthand what we are doing. Stop in to sample fresh-baked goods made from scratch by our students and new baking instructor and have lunch at our famous soup and salad bar.
- Our new cosmetology instructor looks forward to welcoming new clientele during the scheduled clinical days on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Let our students pamper you with manicures, haircuts, or a new hairstyle. (Men are also welcome!)
We are grateful to our parents and students for choosing to make Western Area a part of their educational experience. Employment opportunities are endless for our students. During their senior year, eligible students enter the Cooperative Education program where they use the skills taught to them at Western Area and “earn as they learn”.
This should be a fun and exciting year for our students and staff. Please give us a call if you would like information on any of our programs and/or events. Can’t wait to see everyone back again!